Eating Disorder Practitioner
Employer: Eating Disorders Queensland LTD
Type: Part Time Sector: Not-for-Profit & Community Organisations Job Level: Mid Level
- Title: Eating Disorder Practitioner
- Hours: 30 hours per week
- Award: Queensland Transitional Pay Equity Order (TPEO)(incorporating the QLD Regulation and DIV 2B QCSCA)
- Classification: Level 5.1
The Eating Disorder Practitioner provides therapeutic services to people with a range of eating disorders.
This position operates within a collaborative team environment that is responsive to the needs of service users and is committed to continuous improvement and best practice principles. The practitioner is also required to work within the Vision and Mission of Eating Disorders Queensland (EDQ) and contribute to organisational objectives.
Eating Disorders Queensland (EDQ) (Formerly known as The Eating Issues Centre)
Eating Disorders Queensland is a community-based organisation providing therapeutic groups, counselling and peer mentoring, as well as information and referral services, to people with eating disorders and their carers.
Our Values: Nurture, Empowerment, Integrity, Innovation, and Collaboration.
- Valuing Relationships, self-care, care and connection through engagement and capacity building.
- Strong collaborative, shared decisions making environment.
- Respectful recovery orientated, empowerment and strengths-based processes that promote empowerment, self-determination, inclusion and choice.
- Promoting individual and social change as well as prevention.
- Valuing each person and lived experience.
- Recognizing the interactive impact of individual factors, family factors (including genetics), socio cultural factors, and gender on the development, maintenance and prevention of eating disorders.
- We value the important role that medical and psychiatric services can have in recovery from an eating disorder and offer our services as a partner as well as alternative to the medical model, depending on client need.
- Work in line with EDQ’s policies and procedures.
- Deliver specialist counselling services to people with eating disorders from a multi-disciplinary approach underpinned by evidenced based practice frameworks with an evidenced based understanding of the impact of eating disorders in clinical work with adults, young people and families, as well as working with related co-occurring mental health and social issues.
- Have an understanding of Feminist practice in relation to Eating Disorders
- Supervise and support students and volunteers ensuring positive learning experiences and client outcomes.
- Foster a culture of collaboration that is committed to reflective practice, individual/team supervision, professional development, and professional ethics
- Develop, deliver, and evaluate therapeutic group work and peer mentoring programs in consultation with service users.
- Provide telephone support, information and referral services to clients, families, carers, professionals, and the broader community.
- Represent EDQ at relevant networking meeting and events when required, maintaining a comprehensive understanding of the human services sector building relationships with key stakeholders
- Proactively communicate as a member of a team contributing to shared work functions and team processes.
- Support the Senior Practitioner with the review, development and implementations of policies and procedures and ensure new service models meets best practice standards and maximises available resources.
- Undertake data collection and analysis via client management system to ensure continuous quality improvement, knowledge development and research and assist the Senior Practitioner with quarterly reporting.
- Support innovative state-wide service delivery, therefore some interstate travel will be required at times
This position reports to the General Manager will have supervision with the Senior Practitioner
Supervise students and volunteers in line with university requirements and assigned projects.
All positions offered by EDQ are conditional on recurrent funding from the Qld Government, therefore EDQ offers fixed term contracts in line with funding time lines.
Key Selection Criteria
Please respond to the dollow
- A tertiary qualification in Social Work, Psychology or Counselling with training and/or experience in the eating disorders field being highly valued, but not essential.
- Our service is underpinned by a feminist framework which values relationship, openness, transparency and diversity, inclusive of all genders & communities
- Demonstrated experience in counselling with a comprehensive understanding of the impact of eating disorders in clinical work with adults, young people, and families as well as co-occurring presentations, such as mental health and drug and alcohol concerns. A solid understanding of evidence based psychological interventions e.g. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Expressive Therapies and/or Dialectic Behaviour Therapy is also required.
- Demonstrated experience in group facilitation and developing and delivering Psychoeducation programs
- Support carers, families and loved ones
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate counselling and group work programs and produce reports and presentations to share results.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, and excellent engagement skills, especially in engaging people with eating disorders.
- A record of accomplishment of working collaboratively and the demonstrated capacity to liaise with internal and external stakeholders.
- Support innovative state-wide service delivery, therefore some interstate travel will be required at times.
The applicant must possess:
- Valid and current Qld Driver’s Licence;
- Satisfactory criminal history check; and
- Working with Children Check
- Please note this position is not set up for the psychology registration program
A full position description can be found below.
How To Apply
Applications must comprise:
- A one-page cover letter addressed to the General Manager summarising relevant experience and skills for the role, with contact details for 3 referees.
- A resume, maximum 3 pages,
- A response to selection criteria contained in the job description, not more than 2 pages
Applications are invited from Australian citizens or persons with full Australian residency status, with relevant experience.
Applications by email only – email@example.com as soon as possible
We will be conducting interviews as we receive applications.
Contact: Rohie Marshall Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 07 38446055