West Welcome Wagon
Area of Expertise Being Sought:
Business, Change Management, Community Specialist, Consulting, Strategy & Development, Fundraising, Government Relations, Information & Communication Technology, Law & Legal Services, Marketing & Communications, Public Policy
Payment: Nil - honorary role
The General Board Member for West Welcome Wagon (WWW) will contribute to major strategic decisions, as well as overall management of the organisation.
This is a volunteer position. Work will generally be done from the volunteer’s own home and at times to suit them. They will also need to be available for one face-to-face meeting every four to six weeks. It is estimated that the role will require the Board Member to be available for approximately 6-8 hours per week, or as required.
You can see the current Board Members here: www.westwelcomewagon.org.au/about/our-people.
West Welcome Wagon has experienced a rapid growth and development phase since its inception in 2013. The Board during this time has proudly steered the Wagon to achieving major milestones.
Our major milestones include:
- Recruiting and developing a strong team of core volunteers who commit to regular activities and times with WWW, as well as an efficient Management Team
- Ensuring legal obligations and legislative requirements are met
- Developing great local community connections and relationships with key stakeholders
- Establishing financial income to support our operations
- Assisting 500+ local asylum seeker homes in Melbourne’s west (current figure does not include previously assisted homes)
- Acquisition of a warehouse base for our operations
- Perfecting a vision, mission and goals
Appointment or Election of a Board Member of WWW may be made in accordance with the Rules of West Welcome Wagon Inc. in Rules. These can be viewed by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- That you take initiative and act responsibly, as well as exercising powers and discharging duties with reasonable care and diligence:
- in good faith in the best interests of the association
- for a proper purpose
- That you do not make improper use of your position or information acquired by holding your position
- Understanding of and keen following of policies, procedures, and guidelines, as well as understand and be familiar with the Rules of West Welcome Wagon Inc. and the Act.
- Provide leadership, strategic direction, and vision to our organisation
- Model best practice
- Understand that Board membership for WWW carries significant legal and financial responsibilities
- Be online daily, and be available in person for Board meetings every 4-6 weeks
- Facebook and Google Drive literacy – excellent communication style, and ability to work online
- Holistic problem-solving skills and the ability to communicate them effectively
- Voting membership of West Welcome Wagon (this can be applied for after a Board Member application has been lodged)
- Agreeing to and signing the Volunteer Agreement
- Current and valid working with children check
- Understand that you hold responsibility for providing direction for the organisation
- Comprehensive understanding of the organisation, our clients, and our supporters
- Occasionally appointing key organisational volunteers to positions of delegated authority
If you don’t currently have these skills, a willingness to learn will be highly regarded.
Regular activities undertaken by the Board Member could include:
- Approving new initiatives online
- Providing opinion on contentious issues
- Checking in regularly with the CEO for progress reports
- Approving online banking transfers
- Attending public events
- Contributing to teamwork
West Welcome Wagon will provide:
- Ongoing support from other Board Members, CEO, Management team, and the CORE group of volunteers
- Regular social events with the CORE team of WWW
- Experience with an effective grassroots charity in Melbourne’s west
Once you have filled in the following form, your details will be emailed directly to West Welcome Wagon. They will contact you on the telephone number and/or email address you provide. We will not disclose your details to anyone apart from the recruiting organisation.
By filling in this form you acknowledge and agree to Our Community's privacy statement.
Good luck with your search!